Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Paychecks, assholes, life, marriage and recursion

  • I have worked where I work for year now. And till date, I haven't received a single paycheck that I didn't have to take back to HR and find out what the heck their calculations were. Every. Single. Time. This time, they decided I have two kids I'm paying tuition fees for and deserve tax deductions for.
  • Isn't it amazing how people who are so civil and well mannered at work become such assholes on the road ? The same guy at work who said 'excuse me' as he passed between me and a colleague I was talking to, showed me the finger as he cut me off in traffic. I shall trip him next time and he will fall all over the stained carpet.
  • I've realized that its the people with limited challenges in life (by this I mean those rich, talented, good looking, rich, extremely cool family, rich - all through no fault of their own - people) that go out and create challenges for themselves - jujitsu, trekking, obviously tough relationships, theatre etc. I have enough challenges that life throws at me - multiple projects at work, higher management who seem to think the world of ones capabilities, extremely variances in bank accounts, friends, parents etc. - without going out and looking for more. Hence, I shall not feel bad about leading a 'incomplete life'.
  • A colleague of mine is getting married very soon. A proper TamBram arranged marriage. Though I have hardly ever seen two people more in love. Dinners with friends, breakfasts at five star hotels with ex-bosses, the works. He gels really well with her friends. I was never very good at that, I could never get along very well with Her friends. Given time, that might have changed... but... Anyways, I can't say I'm not jealous of him, coz I am, in a way. I envy the fact that he was so easily... for lack of a better word, satisfied. It was very simple - their parents met, they met and four days later, they were set to get married. Somehow, I don't think life has something quite that simple planned for me. Not that I'm the one to shy away from a challenge, but still.
  • I have sent out 72 official emails today. And I notice that as I type, if I make a mistake, I tend to delete all the way back to the point of the mistake and retype everything after that again. Like now, I woudl delete all the way back to woudl and retype would delete all the way back to would and retype.
  • Recursion rocks.

18 Comments:

At August 09, 2005 6:29 AM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

Viggie bwai --- *jig*.... you needs a hugses.. so here is me .. HUGGGGGGSSSS.

 
At August 09, 2005 6:42 AM, Blogger Kumari said...

And u need those hugs on a vacation...so pack ur bags and disappear :)

 
At August 09, 2005 6:57 AM, Anonymous Bhuva said...

Clearly this day blew! Carrot cake?

 
At August 09, 2005 12:29 PM, Blogger srik said...

hi vignesh,
i got here from ambika's blog...have you heard from her lately? god knows where shes disappeared!

 
At August 09, 2005 12:51 PM, Blogger Senthil said...

This is eerie... I do the same bloody thing! Backspace till the point of error and all that. And I used to secretly think it was because I was bored of life, and wanted to spiral down into mundaneness...

 
At August 09, 2005 8:33 PM, Blogger Rat said...

I do that too.(The spelling thing)
72 Emails !! Shit thats a lot.

 
At August 09, 2005 9:05 PM, Blogger Swathi said...

72 emails, no wonder u r in such a mood n i know what u r talking 'bout the pay check thingummy ,has happened way too many times with me, as such we pay such huge taxes n it can do without these ppl at office making wrong calculations .

 
At August 09, 2005 10:08 PM, Blogger Pink said...

Even I do that.. when I make a spelling mistake while typing I delete all the way back and correct it.. and I just HAVE to do it then and there... I won't even finish the sentence and use spell check and correct it, which would save so much time! Guys at the HR depatment are always as***les.. they never pay you for what's rightfully yours and when you claim someting they act like your stealing.

 
At August 09, 2005 10:22 PM, Blogger jax said...

No hugs n all..because I am laughing my ass off for various reasons man!!You are not the only one!

And yes, if you think her friends are annoying you should meet her brother! He will be an absolute moron!:D

 
At August 09, 2005 10:28 PM, Blogger Mangs said...

Hi. I can say a few sentences at a time now!

 
At August 10, 2005 1:46 AM, Anonymous Ostrich said...

:)

As long as you get tax deductions!!! I wish my Payroll folks would do something to ease the burden of taxes on poor me! :)

 
At August 10, 2005 7:44 AM, Blogger Jay said...

1. I can't believe you're complaining about getting a tax deduction.

2. A colleague actually showed you the finger?! Exterminate! Exterminate!

3. Despite being neither rich nor talented, I have very few challenges in life. This is because I am lazy and ambitionless.

4. That kind of simplicity takes all the thrill - and the fun - out of the hunt.

5. I do that too. I reckon I've probably wasted a whole day of my life in total just retyping sentences needlessly.

6. I have no idea what 'recursion rocks' means. But I gotta complete this list. So, go recursion!

 
At August 10, 2005 8:12 AM, Blogger Primalsoup said...

1. I second Jay, you are COMPLAINING about a tax deduction?! Noooo.
2. On the road everyone is equal, so you know...
3.Goody! Always good to reassure oneself! :)
4.Yup, eventually people relent, which is I am sure not a good place to be in. The day rationalization meets romance, thats doomsday!
5.I have replied to a few dozens of incomprehensible mails, which is worse!
6. Oh, I have no clue what that means

I am happy to break this to you, your Blog Posts are as bad as mine!

 
At August 10, 2005 11:03 AM, Blogger First Rain said...

complete_life(potential_mate_t *her)
{
IF (typos in emails==her->count) throw kernel_panic_exception;
ELSE
{
Respond to all frustrated colleagues via offical email;
IF (you != rich) Pay taxes;
ELSE Embezzle more money;

complete_life(her->friend);
}}

 
At August 10, 2005 8:12 PM, Blogger www.gypsynan.blogspot.com said...

Dude can write!

 
At August 10, 2005 11:56 PM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Grrl: I ALWAYS need hugeses... so thankoooo !!

LadyK: Yes. Vacation good. Long weekend coming up !

Bhuva: Yummmy !!

Srik: Have no idea dude ! Last time I spoke to her, she was in Minneapolis. Guess shes still there ?

Senti: Heh.. no no. Its just us geeks. Thats all.

Rat: Tell me about it.. And Lotus Notes sucks goat balls.

Swathi: Yeah, and then the tax consultant comes around and is like wtf !!

Lavi: Hmmm... this seems to be a pretty common thing huh... need to find some HR persons blog then ;)

Jax: Good thing about the hugs mate !! :)

Mangs: Hopefully you can TYPE more no?

Ossie: Well, get for the time being, till the tax consultant comes around !

Jay:

1. As I said, evil tax consultants who file the taxes abound.
2. Squash !
3. Those are admirable qualities.
4. Bah to thrill and fun.
5. Heh. Looks like we all. Waste life that is.
6. Recursion is this.

Soups:

1. Please to refer note about evil tax consultant who will say wtf when filing taxes.
2. Riiighhhtt.. driving in Madras eh what ?
3. Yes yes !
4. Thats a wonderful quote...
5. Wonder how comprehensible the replies were... :)
6. Please to note above.

And thanks. That puts me in a whole new league. Really. It does. The Soupster league.

Frainy: OMG ! Im speechless ! I bow to your geekness !! :)

Gypsy: Hmm.. me or Frainy ? :)

 
At August 11, 2005 2:02 PM, Blogger Mint Chutney said...

I just noticed today that I do the same delete/retype thing you do.

 
At August 16, 2005 2:08 AM, Blogger Archster said...

Reading your blog while I'm taking a 'break' at work is not a very wise thing to do. My colleagues worry for my mental health, for they wonder what can possibly cause one to be so amused breaking out into boughts of laughter while having to draft some dull agreement. (As you can see, they know very little of my 'breaks', and what I read while on them.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home