Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Lord of The Shots and Other Stories

Recently I had gone out with a bunch of friends. Following a nice play, we wanted to hit up the Octopus' Garden, but there was a gig there that night. And there were well dressed people. And we had been drenched in the downpour. We decided to head to less conspicuous locales and ended up at Tavern.

[Sidestory One] The said bunch of friends are like, THE set of friends. You know how you go through college, with The Boys ? Yeah, this was them. This was just one of them though, but the basic premise holds good. This dude once left me a voice mail on my celly, that I treasured for a long time. It basically went like this: Him talking to his friend. Drunk. A police siren. One of them yelling, Oh Shit. Sounds of two drunk men, jumping in to a bush. Sounds of two drunk men trying to get out of a bush. Him finally saying 'Hello' and hanging up, as they discussed plans for where to go next.

Anyways, so there we were. Having a great time. The beer was nice. The music was good. After about 3 hours of eating, talking, drinking, eating and talking, we ordered shots for the road. Jose Cuervo. A nice end to a nice night, good company and great music.

[Sidestory two] The Boys and myself, once found ourself in this very fine Irish pub in Chicago. 11 buttery nipples, 14 pints of Guinness and other assorted delights later, I found myself in a very gracious state towards my provider for the night, a wonderful waitress by the name of Katie. I remember going up to her, asking for 'more of them nipples'. Giggles. More flirting. 'Thank you, you guys were the best' note on the bill. I went to the same pub when I was back in Chicago last year, about 6 months later. She was still there. And she got me a nipple, on the house. And she also re-autographed the bill, touched as she was that I held onto it for so long.

So there we were in the cab, when I notice something shiny in his hands. "What the heck is that ? Since when did you start with the bling-bling?" I says. "Its a shot glass", says the red handed thief. "Don't tell me you stole a shot glass from the place !". Yup, he did ! The logic being that he paid over and above the price of the liquor anyway for the shot, so he might as well take the glass.

Moral of the story: Don't go out drinking with kleptos. And if you do, blog about them. They make for good near-death-boring posts.

11 Comments:

At June 01, 2005 9:31 PM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

lol... you and your friends in low places.. i need ta get me summa dose!!

 
At June 01, 2005 10:40 PM, Blogger Pink said...

I stole a whole pint glass with 'Strongbow' engraved on it from the last pub I visited in York before I came back home. A souvenir to remind me of my favourite cider, Strongbow, that went into making my favourite drink, Snakebite Black (half pint cider, half pint lager and black current concentrate). The glass now proudly stands on my bookshelf.

Don't tell me you've never stolen a glass from a pub? It's the least you can do for the over-priced liquor you drink from it! Our kitchen in Uni was full of glasses stolen from pubs..great collection we had there! Good fun! And believe me the pubs don't really care...I know coz I worked in one and we were constantly breaking glasses on the job, out of frustration ofcourse!

 
At June 01, 2005 11:08 PM, Blogger Jay said...

I once nicked a lovely matching set of salt and pepper shakers from American Chilli. It's allowed.

 
At June 02, 2005 12:18 AM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

hmm... do church communion glasses count?..*pinched one when i was 3...(WELLL THE STUFF IN IT TASTED GOOOOOOD AT THE TIME!!!HELOO!!)

* kneels down and asks for forgiveness*

 
At June 02, 2005 1:37 AM, Blogger jax said...

The only thing I ever steal from bars is those fancy stirrers that come with cocktails. I was told to whack stirrers in a cocktail making course I did! Just following the master's words ;)

Buttery nipples are shots? But in that strip bar I'd been to..well never mind!

 
At June 02, 2005 2:42 AM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

rofl @ Jax

 
At June 02, 2005 4:35 AM, Blogger Senthil said...

Egad! Exciting lives being revealed here. Them buttery nipples had me going, till I clicked on the link. Reality continues to ruin my life...

 
At June 02, 2005 8:55 AM, Blogger Mint Chutney said...

My husband once took me to his favorite Irish pub in Chicago for St Patrick's Day. The bartender said I was an honorary Irish-woman via marriage and I got a free drink. I nicked a lovely green Guinness shot glass.

 
At June 02, 2005 11:59 AM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Lavi: You worked in a pub ?! Nice !! Never had that cider, will now though ;)

Jay: Hmm... Alright KleptoBoy ! Off you go now, to save the world from... by shaking salt whereever needed !

Grrl: WHOA !!! Tsk tsk tsk, thats gonna go on your PERMANENT record Grrl !!

Jax: I usually try to stick those things into someone else's hair... its good fun !

Senti: Yes, me hates reality too !!

Minty: Welcome back ! Ooohh... did you go to Fado ? Thats the one I was talking about ! And you too !??!

Am I the only one who doesn't nick things from bars ?!?! Really ?

 
At June 02, 2005 9:33 PM, Blogger Rat said...

Really !! You are the only one. I have nicked couple of things from blore pubs !!!

 
At June 03, 2005 1:38 AM, Blogger Pink said...

Vigs, that's what pubs are there for! When they open their doors and welcome u in, they're actually telling u to come in and nick a few things! Didn't you know that?! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home