Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Sing me a memory

Over the days, thanks to the current traffic conditions prevailing in Bangalore, my iPod has been doing overtime. On these rides, that seem like one unending crawl towards the red light, the iPod becomes much more than just an MP3 player. It becomes my own personal time machine. The powerful scent of memories that spears through my senses, as the familar tune comes to life. The faces that fill my vision. A couple of numbers from the ever changing, ever growing soundtrack of my existence -

Lets get rocked - Def Leppard - Bhatty and the summer before I joined college. Those evenings we would sit in his room, after having lost yet another cricket match to Subbu and Co., his neighbor's huge labrador, Cleo, sniffing our crotches every now and then, sipping some of that awesome lemonade...

Where is the love ? - Black Eyed Peas - Ever since I read this, I can't seem to be able to listen to this song, without a mental picture of her, bopping around to it.

Baby got back - Sir Mix-A-Lot - The boys. In March 2004, me and the boys rented a Chevy Astro and decided to take a little road trip. To Iowa. I only wish you could have seen the look on the face of the man at the gas station, right smack dab in the mid of mid-western United States, when he saw an Astro pull up, and 8 brown folk get out of it. Priceless... oh, and we guys learnt all the lines of this song over that trip. And I sing this song now, to T. For obvious reasons ;)

Wonderwall - Oasis - Umm... yeah... lets not go there, shall we ?

When the tigers broke free - Pink Floyd - Reddy and Sam. The time me and Reddy sat up all night, working on The CD. And The Poster. Or the time... no... wait... can't talk about that one. Or maybe... nope... can't say anything about that either. Damn, I don't think we have ever done anything that I can ever safely admit to having done !

I see you baby - Groove Armada - Do I really have to spell it out ?

There are oh! so many more. But, I'm tired now, and my battery is running out. Recharge. Both myself and the iPod.

24 Comments:

At May 18, 2005 2:05 PM, Blogger wahgnube said...

Oasis is the greatest band of all time. Oasis' Wonderwall is arguably one of their most popular songs. You don't need to go anywhere, you blasphemous fool.

 
At May 18, 2005 6:53 PM, Blogger Khushee said...

Yes, I love Wonderwall by Oasis!

 
At May 18, 2005 7:47 PM, Blogger Angel said...

That's the reason why sometimes I'm feeling under
That's the reason why sometimes I'm feeling down
It's no wonder why sometimes I'm feeling under
I gotta keep my faith alive, until love is found.


heehee...I feel the love!
>:D<

 
At May 18, 2005 8:32 PM, Blogger Anurag said...

Why the hell did you guys decide to drive to Iowa, of all places? Jeez! You could have gone to Maine, Vermont, Florida, California, even Utah. Why Iowa? I just can't justify it to myself... :))

 
At May 18, 2005 9:35 PM, Blogger Rat said...

I guess we always associate music with ppl or phases in our lives !!
And how could you be sitting in blore and not go for the Satch concert !!

 
At May 18, 2005 11:03 PM, Blogger eM said...

Why, WHY are you associating "I see you baby" with me? Why not something deep and meaningful like, oh, Pink Floyd or U2 or something? Why?

 
At May 19, 2005 1:07 AM, Anonymous Mandar said...

oh! i wanna buy an iPod too! i will. very soon. :)
baby got back... hmmm... i love that song!!! ;)

and eM, good question!! :))

 
At May 19, 2005 1:57 AM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

am VERY amused right now.

 
At May 19, 2005 3:03 AM, Blogger Chicken Little said...

Nice! Am so tempted to do a "soundtrack to my life" sort of post as well now...

 
At May 19, 2005 4:06 AM, Blogger Swathi said...

Vg,
this blog reminds me of the time i wanted to write one on all those songs associated with memories(or is it the other way round?) -in fact there r some smells also that i associate with songs but they r all hindi songs btw

 
At May 19, 2005 5:01 AM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Wahgnube: Yes, Oasis is great. The memories tied up with that song, though, are not.

K: Please to refer note above ;)

A: I know you do, Oh Queen of the Emoticons

Anurag: You have no idea how many times we asked ourselves that question over the course of the 7 hour drive, through what must be the the most blank countryside in the US of A. The reason was that one of the boys mentioned in the post, studied in Iowa, had suffered some recent emotional upheaval, and we had decided to go and cheer him up. I think we succedded ;)

Rat: Welcome ! Welcome ! Yeah, there are a whole bunch more than the ones I wrote about, these being the ones thrown up by the iPod's random shuffle over the course of the drive back from work. As for Satch, meetings, coupled with a friends illness, didn't for a fun evening make :(

 
At May 19, 2005 5:07 AM, Blogger Vignesh said...

eM: Thats coz you are sooo luuurrvaaabllleeee !!! And I really do think of you now, each time I listen to that song.

Oh, and maybe its also coz of THIS ;)

Mandar: Yeah ! Get it soon ! I cannot say enough good things about it !!

Grrl: Hmm.. amused ?!?! Pray tell.. fish got your tongue !?!?! :P

AoA: Please do ! I would lurrve to read that !

Swathi: You are soo right ! Smells are apparently the strongest memory triggers, more than sounds or vision... so no wonder !!

 
At May 19, 2005 12:28 PM, Blogger Sagnik Nandy said...

baby got back is a classic :)) and though the present generation has no exposure to it (except for an episode of FRIENDS dedicated to it) I'm glad that it is making a come back through ringtones - yeah!

 
At May 19, 2005 2:22 PM, Blogger Mint Chutney said...

It's so funny because when I hear "I see you baby" at the gym, I think of eM.

Wonderwall is a great song although I am no big fan of Oasis...all hype and no follow-thru.

 
At May 19, 2005 8:22 PM, Blogger Kumari said...

I don't know any song in this list :( But what makes it worse there is NO SONG for me...sheesh! After all that we 'shared' Vignesh, how could you do this? :p

 
At May 19, 2005 9:21 PM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

nah.. sigh.. i put him back in the water...

oh well.. guess fishings not my thang

 
At May 20, 2005 4:14 AM, Blogger Anurag said...

Vignesh, you are wrong. The most boring countryside is probably Indiana, through which I drove once. Almost drove into them corn fields when I fell asleep. :)

 
At May 20, 2005 4:28 AM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

i beg to differ.. the prize goes to Saskatchewan in Canada... it is PURE torture to drive through the WHOLE state...with endless flatlands.........GROAAAAAAAAAN

 
At May 21, 2005 11:02 PM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

*delighted look*


*hugs*

*big grin*

 
At May 22, 2005 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Iowa for Spring Break in the Pimp Mobile, quite funky.

Wolverine.

 
At May 23, 2005 9:33 AM, Blogger Senthil said...

You guys, what's wrong with flatlands? I love them. Gives me a feeling of being all alone in the world... amazing.

 
At May 23, 2005 8:54 PM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

@senthil... errm.. try it for a whole of 2 years..if you arent seen wandering about beating your chest and wearing holey clothes and your hair like a bramble bush, and blubbering for your mommy then i shall eat my hat.
*teasing poke*

 
At May 24, 2005 12:43 AM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Sagnik: Yesssirr !!! It is indeed ! I shall always uphold the values that Baby Got Back stands for. Till the day I die ;)

MC: Heheh.. Im sure she loves you for saying that ;)

LadyK: I said, there are oh so many more !!! And you should KNOW what song reminds me of you... ;)

Grrl and Anurag and Senthil: Iowa is THE worst. But the mobile rocked ! Totally !

Wolverine: How did you know ?!! That photo was taken specifically to be altered in photoshop and psychadelicasized ;)

 
At May 26, 2005 2:28 PM, Blogger Senthil said...

G.G : Hmmm... I already (a) wander a lot, (b) wear holey clothes, and (c) have hair like a bramble bush... I think I'm quite prepared. And a poke to you with knobs on. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home