Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Saga of Anakin Skywalker

I remember the first time I saw Star Wars. I remember my cousin running into my room with this VHS tape, bouncing against the walls with excitement, yelling at me to watch it. I remember him telling me, in a rushed breath nearing hyper-ventilation, about this great story of intergalactic star fights and a princess and a Rebellion... and most importantly, the most kick-ass villian ever conceived - Darth Vader. I remember hearing that name for the first time - it instilled a sense of fear in me that to this day, gives me goosebumps. I hadn't even seen the movie and I was already afraid of telling Darth Vader that the Rebels had escaped ! The name introduced the boy in me to the notion of using fear as a motivator. It was and still is, in my opinion, the best movie bad guy name ever !

I watched the movie and was, as is the case with any teen who watches Star Wars for the first time around, completely blown away. The special effects were awesome, the story was something out of this world. But in the end, it wasn't any of those things that stuck with me. It was the names. Luke Skywalker. Princess Leia. Han Solo. Obi-Wan Kenobi. The Millenium Falcon. Darth Vader. Those names set me wondering, more than the characters themselves, about the universe they lived in. The universe that we got such a tantalizingly fleeting glimpse of. The names were such perfect representations of the characters themselves - Luke Skywalker, innocent, young, destined for great things, Han Solo - a rebel, a world weary fighter. They set a young teen on a journey that finally came full circle this past weekend. It has been a good ride, albeit with a few rude bumps along the way. Inspite of all of George Lucas's sufferings, Star Wars still remains one the most defining sagas in movie history.

It is the the saga of Darth Vader. He is Star Wars. Episode I: The Phantom Menace to Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. It is the story of Anakin Skywalker - a name that I will forever associate with glorious tragedy, of having the potential to attain levels of greatness others couldn't even dream about, but instead falling, twisted beyond darkness, to the greatest of depths. Anakin, a name, that will forever resonate with the anguish, pain and immense responsibility of confused youth, of love, of destiny and in the end, of hope.

14 Comments:

At May 26, 2005 4:18 AM, Blogger Pink said...

No idea what you're talking about there! Watched the old star wars movies when I was very little and I don't remember anything except that I kept bugging my bro to tell me what was happening!

But what I really wanted to say was ... it seems the world is a very small place! Sooo freaky! :)

 
At May 26, 2005 7:01 AM, Blogger sajith said...

Slightly more clueful now. Thanks! :D

 
At May 26, 2005 8:33 AM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

hellooooo....*echo*.....what have you done with Vignesh???.....Pleaseputhimback!!!


*wanders off muttering*

 
At May 26, 2005 9:08 AM, Blogger Senthil said...

I watched my first Star Wars at the age of seven, so you'll excuse me for finding the light sabres more fascinating than the characters. You may not excuse me for continuing to think so at the age of twenty-six, but that's a different thing, having being corrupted in my childhood, when I was young, innocent, carefree...

 
At May 26, 2005 9:29 AM, Blogger Anurag said...

Um, I must confess -- I have not seen a single Star Wars movie. Nary a one. None.

 
At May 26, 2005 10:51 AM, Anonymous Mandar said...

aaaaaaah! finally i have somebody to keep me company. thanks, anurag! :)

vig, me hasn't seen a single star wars movie either! good or bad? :D

 
At May 26, 2005 11:25 PM, Blogger eM said...

I saw Return Of The Jedi when I was about seven. Fun movie, especially little Yoda. But then as I grew and my six boy cousins could no longer impose their movie watching habits on me, I stopped. :)

 
At May 27, 2005 5:57 AM, Blogger L . Hyena said...

Dude...i totally relate to yer blog...primarily coz i distictly remember hiding behind mom's pallu when "he" who had crossed over to the dark side showed up on sceen in the original flick, maybe its the general DARKness about him...still does stuff to the hair behind my neck..**shudder**

 
At May 27, 2005 11:35 PM, Blogger jax said...

I have never watched a single star wars movie!! Should I?

 
At May 28, 2005 3:24 AM, Blogger Angel said...

yeah, what he ^ said!!

 
At May 30, 2005 1:40 PM, Blogger Vignesh said...

All you people who haven't seen the Star Wars movies - Please do so at the earliest.

And that is the last time I let my nerdy, geekiness show. I feel so vulnerable now.

;)

 
At May 30, 2005 9:25 PM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

hmm vig feels vulnerable....
*thinks*
*runs away very fast*

 
At June 01, 2005 10:00 AM, Blogger First Rain said...

I cannot say enough about Star Wars... oh and I have so so much to say. I totally get what you mean here. And I got Revenge of the Sith first day, first show... awesome! I had a post planned out for this... till something else took over my life. Perhaps I'll do it now.

May the force be with you.

 
At June 01, 2005 10:44 PM, Anonymous J said...

Is Star Wars anything like Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahaani ? Scarier ? Never seen one in my life and from the looks of it, I am not alone too...Whew ! What a relief !!

Err..Me the J from Maami's blog.. Allo !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home