Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Hypermesh

It is a well understood fact as to exactly how small this whole crazy planet is. I have experienced it many a time over the course of my inconsequential existence - both in the real world and in the blog world. So, what I am about to relate does not necessarily 'take the cake' in terms of its freak occurrence, but rather in terms of the magnitude of freakishness.

So there I was, bored to death at work on a Thursday. I run through the list of blogs, looking for updates and or new comments. In a moment of desperation, lest I die of boredom right there, I sent out a 'aren't you bored, lets make friendship' email to a fellow blogger, who we shall call Kanika. She being the kind, equally bored soul that she is, replied. It quickly became a Gmail chat, and after a few a/s/l like exchanges, we realized that we had a whole bunch of common friends in the real world. The conversation went something like this:

Kanika: So do you remember Sanjay from your college ?
Me: Yeah of course ! I know him really, really well !
Kanika: Yeah, Sanjay is the ex-boyfriend of yours truly ;)
Me: Whoa !! So you know Panchi !! You know my dear Panchi ?!?!
Kanika: Of course !! One of my best friends in school !


And so on. I would go on, but coming up with false names for all the people involved would be near impossible - it was like everyone we know. And vice versa. Anyways, she stumbles upon my Flickr site and-

Kanika: Hey ! Is that Christine in that picture ?
Me: WHAT !! Don't tell me you know her too !! But how ? She has no connections to the other crowd !!
Kanika: YES !! I DO !!! We had mutual friends in college !


Yeah, like I said, freaky. Its like this intricate web of connections, all springing forth from all sorts of directions ! Trying to think about it, throws my head up in knots. Many a drunken post-party conversation has been spent in trying to catch up with friends and friends of friends and friends of friends of friends and so on. In any case, it was great fun hanging out with the crew again - a nice mix of the old and the new (new to me atleast). Its nice to know that along the way, you have made enough friends to last a lifetime or two ! Enough to be able to sit back and relax in the company of people you have just met, but feel like you have known for years.

To Kanika and the rest of the crew, thanks a ton ! It was an awesome weekend !

In other news, the rollercoaster ride that I've been on, shot to new heights and is currently stabilizing. Somehow thrilling just doesn't quite capture it any more !

15 Comments:

At May 31, 2005 8:40 AM, Blogger Senthil said...

Hey, I'm first!!!!
Yep, these six degrees of separation get a bit eerie... the other day I found out that a friend of mine is a friend of a close friend of Michael Schumacher. Not that I'm a great S. fan, but it's a bit eerie, eh? That's just two degrees between me and Herr Schumacher. Cheap thrills abound.

 
At May 31, 2005 8:46 AM, Anonymous Mandar said...

oh man! senthil just managed to beat me. ;) :)
viggy, it really is a small world. but there isnt much we can do abt it, is there? and i think in a way it is good that it is small. i cant imagine what would have happened if things wouldnt come back to the place they started and time wouldnt turn a full circle. can u?

i think i have digressed. unintentional but necessary.

 
At May 31, 2005 8:55 AM, Blogger Angel said...

nicknames, false names...you're great with 'em ALL! ;)

hmmm...I must try gmail-chatting with some random person....
wait. have I already done THAT??
;;)

 
At May 31, 2005 9:25 PM, Blogger jax said...

you mean kanika?? the one who was seeing sanjay????? she's my ex-girlfriend's current lesbian partner. freaky world indeed man! :D

 
At May 31, 2005 9:35 PM, Blogger Pink said...

No way! You mean that lesbian partner who's a freind of my mother's gay client??!

Cheers to Kanika, cutesy couples and the rest of the gang for bringing so much excitement into this blog! ;)

 
At May 31, 2005 9:39 PM, Blogger Rat said...

Your mothers gay client ?? Hello He's my drivers friend !!!

Viggi, So whos this mysterious Kanika ??? :)

 
At May 31, 2005 10:31 PM, Blogger eM said...

I love the sudden connections that happen, too! But I'm with everyone else here.. who is Kanika? ;)
*sings It's a small world after all*

 
At May 31, 2005 11:32 PM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

*bounces in*
*hugs all around to the gang!*
its so nice to meet nice people who are genuinely nice...so nice to feel at ease with new people...

like i said... the acceptance is glorious!

 
At June 01, 2005 12:38 AM, Blogger Sagnik Nandy said...

he he! well i've had people tell me things abt you sir (and i am not lying). people i just got to know and people you barely know - so it is indeed a six degree of separation thing - btw, i heard only good things abt you - so no spice to share - chaah!

 
At June 01, 2005 12:39 AM, Blogger Primalsoup said...

Ah, Kanika... aka a fragment of the cosmos! How exotic is that?! Sanjay sounds most prosaic, no wonder he is an ex! :)
I don't like this small world thing, I love my anonymity...

 
At June 01, 2005 3:33 AM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Senthil: Damn, I knew there was a better title to this post... but hot damn ! You are 2 degrees away from Schumi !?!? That's awesome, maybe not this season, but still awesome ;)

Mandar: A full circle eh... well... this was kinda loopy coz I have never met her before, but in a way, returned to what I left behind !! Yeah, as I said, freaky !

A: Yes, you have !!!!

Jax: Whoa ! Really ! Now, where exactly did you say your lesbian ex lives ? ;)

Lavi: Woohoo ! More action to film.. I mean.. er.. blog about :) Yes, yes many cheers to them all !!

Rat: Alright, now, is your driver gay or lesbian ? Kanika, nice name no ?

 
At June 01, 2005 3:44 AM, Blogger Vignesh said...

eM: You, the queen of pseudonyms herself, should know better than to ask that question ;)

Grrl: *hug-hug* Thats the 'nice'est sentence I have ever read !!! :P

Sagnik: Whoa !! Now who is this now ?!?! I can think of a couple of people already.. but.. hmmm to that !

Soups: Welcome back my dear !! Well, yeah, you really can't help it. I'm sure at some point, it will all unravel !! The mystery that is.. har har har !

 
At June 01, 2005 10:11 AM, Blogger First Rain said...

I see somebody already said `six degrees of seperation'

Check out something called the small world phenomenon which suggests in the social network of the world, any person turns out to be linked to any other person by roughly six connections.

Uncanny? Check it out here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SmallWorldNetwork.html

Still friendship is not mathematics. Neither are gay/lesbian drivers? :D
So cheers to finding new friends, and rediscovering old ones!

 
At June 02, 2005 12:16 AM, Blogger Swathi said...

am wondering 'bout one Kanika i know whoz 20 something n married a 40 yr old man! if the worldz as small as we think it is ,it MUST be her :))

 
At June 02, 2005 4:36 AM, Blogger Senthil said...

"Hypermesh" is a far better title than S.D.o.S. At least, it appeals to nerds like moi. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home