Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Ephemeral

I spent the whole evening yesterday with one of my best friends. Catching up on the wonder years, telling tales to anyone who would listen about how he used to use his baby neices to attract the women in his street and about how I used to propose, down on one knee and all, to my lecturers, both male and female. I met happy people. I met two adorable couples, with two adorable kids. Each. I felt so warm and fuzzy deep down, that it almost made me cry. Everyone was great, the university is doing great. I might have started the ball rolling in a wierd way as far as my interactions with my alma mater go, but its rolling none the less. In all, a nice day. A productive day.

Victorious Roman emperors along with their generals, on their march into Rome, were greeted by festivites of magnificient grandeur. There would be dancers by the thousands, exotic animals from the vanquished lands, defeated enemies brought back as slaves surrounded by the fearsome legions of Rome. Amidst all this, rode the victorious general. Curiously, history has it, that a lone slave rode next to him. On the same chariot as him. Over the general’s head he held a garland of laurel, signifying victory. Into the general’s ear the slave repeatedly whispered a caveat: “All glory is fleeting. All glory is fleeting.”

10 Comments:

At March 16, 2005 11:30 pm, Blogger First Rain said...

Ephemeral. Fleeting. Everybody knows. Still everbody wants. Maybe its all pointless, and maybe that precisely is the point.

Its all relative anyway.

*And I haven't charged my celly for a week now. It still has a `bar' of charge left*

 
At March 17, 2005 12:46 am, Blogger Vignesh said...

I can already see this celly thing becoming a measure of our times !

What a life to revel in pointlessness ? In relative pointlessness ? What is the difference anyway ?

 
At March 17, 2005 1:03 am, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

it is fleeting yes but if we all stopped wanting it then whats the point of even bothering if its fleeting or not...
bottom line.. enjoy it while it lasts..make the most of it..
*takes off her gramma glasses*

i think it makes you enjoy certain people more..

 
At March 17, 2005 5:21 am, Blogger First Rain said...

The difference is in the eye of the beholder. The point of view!

 
At March 17, 2005 8:36 pm, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

heeh..true true.. very..

 
At March 17, 2005 8:43 pm, Blogger Vignesh said...

I agree... there is always a sense of perspective that needs to go with any qualitative judgement. What happens if that point of view in itself is ephemeral ? What happens if that in itself is the glory I was referring to and if that is what is fleeting ?

 
At March 17, 2005 9:14 pm, Blogger jax said...

Nice post man...The slave whispering in the ear is right. Its all ephemeral. Are you wishing
that you paid heed to him less and enjoyed the moment more?

 
At March 17, 2005 9:28 pm, Blogger Vignesh said...

Jax: Finally someone who just said it.. I know everyone got it.. but no one said it. I hate that slave. I hate his whispers, I've been hearing it for so long now, that I feel its always there now.

 
At March 18, 2005 8:39 pm, Blogger jax said...

Aha!! Remember Sid from Dil Chahta hai and the scene where they are watching a distant ship from the fort in Goa? I wanted to kick him between his legs for being such a spoilsport - for yacking about how the ships will go their ways and nothing lasts forever!! Too bad that Sid and that slave are inside our head all the time and they dont stop yacking (unless you have had 5 shots of Tequila!) All the things I do are half-assed because of them. If I try to make a new friend, I already know that we are going to hate each other soon. So on n so forth.

I'd be darned if I know whats the way out of this. Short term solution - Hedonism and chasing every train thats plying on Escape Route 712! :D

 
At March 20, 2005 8:36 pm, Blogger Vignesh said...

Jax: That remark about making new friends is soooo true ! Even on Saturday I was talking to a bunch of people... and I couldn't help thinking, yeah, I can stand this guy now, but I'm his [insert annoying habit here] will get to me soon enough !! I can't wait to get rid of it though !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home