Wednesday, February 23, 2005

27 years... and what do they get ?

An amazingly large amount of love and affection from everyone, that's what !

The 'they' in question being the parents of a wonderful lady, whom I have had the pleasure of knowing from the 4th grade. It was her parents 27th wedding anniversary yesterday. A lot of things ran through my mind as I was making my way through the Bangalorean jungle to her house - I've become old, I'm going to a 27th anniversary party and all - to - Wow! Married for 27 years ! - and ending up with - Damn ! An Adyar Ananda Bhavan, time for some 'samsas' ! But there are more interesting things to report, than my wanderings with samosa chat and freebie milk sweets.

So this was supposed to be a surprise party and all and since I was about 1.5 hours too early for the surprise, I had to hang around at a coffee shop for that said period of time. As you would guess, a coffee place, on a workday evening, is crawling with college kids (Damn, I was one of those not 3 years ago!) Now, I have thought long and hard about this. But I have decided to report the conversation of the 4 gentlemen seated next to me in a later post. Right now, we get back to the story of the surprise anniversary party.

Thanks to a wee-bit of a communication issue, two sets of people were scheduled to arrive at different times - not good for a surprise party. Especially with her father being fooled into thinking that they are all heading out for dinner. So I land up there, at 8:45pm and her dad is like, ah, lets go for dinner. I excused myself, just had dinner, sir, thank you for the invitation, that sorta think. Luckily, it never struck him to find out what exactly I was doing about 17 km away from where I live at 8:45 pm. Anyways, after a bit of commotion, people not knowing where the rest of the group is and all that, we finally manage to round up people and get the cake out, yelling surprise (some of the little kids started singing happy birthday as soon as they saw the cake !). And guess what ! The anniversary couple were no where to be found. After a few frantic calls, we tracked them down to the restaurant that my friend had told him they were going to go to. He had decided that he had had enough of our loitering about and left for dinner, figuring that him leaving first would be the best way to spur us into action and took off [The thing is that my friends house is HUGE, great big lawn and all that. Make getaways like this very simple indeed !]. We had to tell him to get back and that we were having a party for him at home ! We had such a great time riding my friend and her sister about this exemplary display of organisational skill !

But in all it was a great party. It felt so good to be amongst people, who you don't necessarily know that well (her entire family was there, I knew maybe 3 of the 25 people) but are happy being around. Being there made me feel like, I was part of their big extended family. Her mom and dad were so visible happy, that you couldn't help walking around with a silly grin on your face. Ahhh... A much needed dose of general love and affection.

Congratulations once again, sir. Love you, aunty. Thanks for the great tiramisu :)

17 Comments:

At February 23, 2005 7:22 AM, Blogger Angel said...

See? your tuesday ended well after all!!
And I must say "awwww" to the surprised(?) couple.
looking forward to that other post you've promised.

 
At February 23, 2005 8:52 AM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Well, depends on how you define surprised. Mildly amused at how thier daughters had tried to organise the whole thing, more like. Is all good anyways!

 
At February 23, 2005 8:54 AM, Blogger Primalsoup said...

Tiramisu, eh! That's called saving the best for last! :)

But its pretty amazing how perfectly polar people manage to spend so many years together, and happily at that! :)

 
At February 23, 2005 9:04 AM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Hmmm.. perfectly polar you say. I wouldn't call them that necessarily. But I get what you are saying.

Do you think that it is the case with arranged marriages, esp. those of our parents generation ? People, who if they were in our generation, would have never even got past a first date, are happily married for decades. Well, good for that, coz otherwise, most of us wouldn't be here having this conversation !

 
At February 23, 2005 7:16 PM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

exactly.......HOW is it there inthose days they never even knew each other and suddenly end up happily married and PERFECTLy matched i might add.. and here ..today.. people are wandering around hunting and hunting and hunting..
...Tiramisu...mmmmmmm!!!

 
At February 23, 2005 7:28 PM, Blogger Kumari said...

Just like the others, the only thing haunting me is 'Tiramisu'...hmmm.
The only thing i managed to organise for my parents' 25th anniv was Gulab Jamun :-D

 
At February 23, 2005 8:43 PM, Blogger rapunzel said...

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled" :((

 
At February 23, 2005 8:45 PM, Blogger rapunzel said...

jus in case u r wondering what that was about, *grin*. Go figure:D i get a strange kick outta confounding hapless bloggers with my strangeness*giggle*

 
At February 23, 2005 8:46 PM, Blogger rapunzel said...

on a diff note.....can u imagine being married to one person for 27 years??this question is open for debate *nudges Grafxgurl*

 
At February 23, 2005 9:45 PM, Blogger Vignesh said...

grrl: I don't understand that either. I guess its the system they were brought up in. Marriage back then, was one big compromise. And - please don't take this the wrong way, I only refer to what the situation WAS, not IS or SHOULD BE - it was mostly the woman who made the compromise. I think most of our grandparents' generation would fit nicely in that category. Some of our parents' generation might. Most of our generation won't. In that sense, meeting people, with our expectations getting as polarized as they are, is going to be tough. Making it work is going to be tougher.

The other side of the coin is that, we have, I beleive, come a long way in our display of love and affection towards our mate. Im sure we would go farther to show our partner how much we love them, than any of our parents' generation. So that sorta compensates, though not completely.

And besides, the hunt is where the fun is. The whole predator on the savannah feeling ;)

Oh!long haired one: On the side, I remember seeing a hilarious MAD Magazine strip about Rapunzel, will try to find it and share the joy.

Anyways, I actually got this one about the rolled pants and all that. Hapless blogger eh !??!

Looking at it right from where we stand right now, we are all bound to say, wow, I can't even imagine spending 27 years with the same person. I would guess its a constant struggle right to keep up. And what better to keep you going than a challenge ? Wake up everyday and get going, thinking about how you are going to make your partners life better today. I'm sure that this isn't practical and more importantly I'm sure it will get to her at some level - more talk on that later - but hey, thats who I am. And thats who I will be, 27 years or a lifetime.

Lady K and everyone else about the tiramisu: I think post could have been 'I had tiramisu yesterday'. Done. Would have worked equally well ;)

 
At February 23, 2005 10:20 PM, Blogger Shrutz said...

Adding you to my link list...
:D just let me say... no desperation required! maybe you'll have 27 years of your own!

 
At February 23, 2005 10:24 PM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Most honored, oh disconneted one.

 
At February 23, 2005 11:01 PM, Blogger Kumari said...

O Wise One,
Just figured out i am the Lady K mentioned in the comment :) * grin*
But why the Title conferred on me?

But since after 24 years someone actually called me Lady and didn't sing "Dude looks like a lady!", i shall take it as a compliment :-D

 
At February 23, 2005 11:22 PM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Hmm... I figured Lady Kumari would have a nice ring to it... get it ? Lady, Kumari mean kinda the same thing... ;)

 
At February 23, 2005 11:32 PM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

All said and done i wouldnt mind spending 27 years with someone who wanted to spend 27 years with me..lol
arreeyy!! 'punzel.. take me wading with you.. ill go.. i really will..lol.
but yes i like the hunt too..lol

 
At February 23, 2005 11:33 PM, Blogger Grafxgurl said...

Vignesh.. you have been added to my tin of Sardines

 
At February 24, 2005 12:46 AM, Blogger Kumari said...

Aaah...dat way is it ;-)
*sigh* will i ever get wise?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home