Saturday, August 23, 2003

All of my life I have told people not to expect too much out of others. That way, you are never disappointed with them, the wine and trade flow smooth. Of late, I'm realising that I don't do that myself. I expect people to behave a certain way, towards me, towards each other. And when they don't it gets to me. Really really gets to me. As was apparent from my previous post. Anyways, Im over it now. As much as I can be, about an apartment that is a basement dungeon, the ceiling barely a foot over my head, a fridge that becomes full with a six-pack, no ventilation, creaky ceilings and noisy neighbors. Well, as I said, can't expect smart people to be smart about anything but mathematics and computer security. Welcome to Carnegie Mellon.

Other than that, things are returning to the usual univ lifestyle. Met my professor and decided on my future research and all that. I think I will be maintaining a blog about that soon. Detailing the project in its various stages. That would be a good way to make sure that I stick to a schedule and am clear about documenting the plan. Also met my other professor for the TA - now this math class is going to be fun. I remember how when I learnt Fourier transforms and series and complex analysis, I were never shown what they are used for and how powerful they really are... like I went through most of my Fourier wondering wtf all this crap was. But eventually, when I hit Digital Signal Processing, it was like a state of pure zen. I understood all. The pure power of the Fourier Transform. The beauty and elegance of solving a system of differential equations using complex analysis. By then it was too late of course... I already hated the math. Not because of the math itself, but because of the fact that the engineer in me wanted a reason for its existence. And impatient as he is, decided to ignore the math when a reason was not provided.

They do things a bit differently here, teach em the enginnering bits right along side the math. That way, students understand the power of the tools that they are learning and can appreciate what we are trying to tell them. I wish someone had told me that.

My apologies to the non-engineers who read this and wonder what I'm raving about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home